MTI doctoral students Francesc Martí and Virginie Viel have had work exhibited as part of the The Engine Room International Sound Art Competition. The event, which has been at the Morley Gallery in London, started on 12 May and runs through to 12 June 2015.
At the same event, noted sound artist Janek Schaefer will be presenting a newly commissioned installation Aerial Aria in the aviary.
Francesc and Virginie are two of the twenty-two selected works, ranging from Singapore, Russia, Germany, Colombia, Italy, Canada, France, the United States and the United Kingdom.
More information on the event can be found by visiting Engine Room London.
Further information about the two selected works can be found below:
Liberté chérie (2014)
- Who are you?
- Were you real?
- You've never seen me and I've never seen you
- How did I manage to talk to you?
- I don't know...
- Give me a clue!
- I only remember...
- Open the door! Open the door! I want to smell, to touch, to feel, to caress her...
- Why? You might regret it! Many others were like you, burning with desire... But ultimately all of them gave up and turned away from her.
- No, I won't…
- It's too late anyway. Long gone are the days of lightness, love and happiness. Today no one knows, no one wants to remember... where she is gone
- Hope disappeared a long time ago. Since that time, looking for Freedom, looking for that lady is meaningless. Without hope, be free has no sense anymore.
Speech 2 (2015)
Speech 2 is an experimental audiovisual piece created from a series of old clips from the public affairs interview program The Open Mind. This piece would be a reflection on the action of communicating, highlighting his limitations, and can be labelled as “text-sound-art”, or “text-sound-composition” in an audio-visual framework. Technically, in this piece, the author has been experimenting how granular sound synthesis techniques, in particular synchronous granular synthesis, can be used for audiovisual creative works. All the piece sounds and images come from that series of clip, in other words, no other sound samples or images have been used to create the final result.